Answer incoming phone calls; Affix labels to patient records for scanning into HIM; LabDE entry
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Screen and sort mail and documents; respond to routine items not requiring supervisor's attention according to instructions and standard procedures.
- Set up and maintain office files of patient records, reports, correspondence and miscellaneous information in an organized fashion.
- Take or transcribe dictation; type medical reports and summaries, patient histories, operative notes, manuscripts and letters from rough draft to final copy ensuring accuracy and completeness. Operate general office machines to include regular typing and word processing equipment, copy machines, calculators and transcription equipment.
- Answer telephone, screen calls, respond to routine questions and take messages in accordance with physician's instructions; serve as receptionist for office or clinics as necessary; greet patients, make appointments or proper referrals according to instructions and procedures; prepare documents and materials for clinics and/or patient admissions as requested. Maintain physician's calendar of appointments and schedules, preparing materials and bringing pertinent items and dates to his/her attention as requested.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Work requires a general educational background normally equivalent to a high school education.
Work requires two years of related medical clerical experience sufficient to acquire skills in transcribing medical terminology, office organization and communications.
A completed medical secretarial program (nine months up to two years accredited program) may be substituted for equivalent experience.
* An optional typing speed of 50 correct words per minute may be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- TELEPHONE PROTOCOL
- MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY
- OFFICE PROCEDURES
- MICROSOFT WINDOWS
- PC WORDPROCESSING SOFTWARE
- PC SPREADSHEET SOFTWARE
- PC DATABASE MGT SOFTWARE
- MICROSOFT WORD
- MICROSOFT EXCEL